Friday, August 21, 2015

2nd Grade Library Orientation with Kahoot!

       The first week of school in the Bethel Elementary Media Center has been a blast!  It has been so nice to see all of the familiar faces back in the building and also to start getting to know some new faces as well.
      My second grade classes this week enjoyed library orientation Kahoot!-style.  I had tried Kahoot! last year with a few classes who really enjoyed it.  Kahoot! is a game-based learning program which lets you set up a quiz,  discussion, or survey and then have students respond using devices.  My school PTA bought the library 10 iPad minis not long ago and I have been having so much fun finding new ways to use them!
       I set up a quiz of 20 questions that I would usually ask my second graders during orientation - What is your librarian's name?  What kind of voices do we use in the library?  What do you do after you check out a book?  Who is the person who writes the book?  When the 2nd graders came in, each table of students got an ipad and joined the game.
     

       The students were very excited about this form of library orientation.  Instead of the groans and "We know this stuff" that I usually get from my older students, I got a lot of energy and smiles.  I read the questions and answers from the Promethean board and the students used the ipad at their table to answer.  They were very competitive and couldn't wait to see which table was in the lead after each question.  We discussed any wrong answers and they left ready to come back next week and check out a book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment