Friday, June 2, 2023

National Poetry Month!


In April, we celebrated National Poetry Month in the media center with blackout poetry! I really really enjoy teaching blackout poetry. It is found poetry, so the students usually don't find it as difficult to create and it is art! 

Most of the teachers in our school brought their classes to participate. I prepared by tearing up discarded books so that I had stacks of loose pages and purchasing black markers (we already had colored markers and colored pencils). Blackout poetry can be colorful too!


When the students came in, I took a few minutes to explain what blackout poetry was. I showed them examples. We even watched a YouTube video that showed someone creating in time lapse. At this point, I turned them loose to create. 

The teacher and I walked around to support and to ooh and ahh over their creations. We had a few students who wanted to read their poems out loud. If you can save time at the end to share out it is a wonderful thing. We were a little pressed for time, so I collected finished poems and made a bulletin board in the lobby so that everyone in the school could read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment